Love makes little things grow
At least, that's what I've learned that from Clifford's puppy days. I thought it was a bunch of crap, because our little guy would be as big as a my sister's adorable chunkers if it was true. I'm rethinking my stance on that theory, because it's certainly not breastmilk that makes him grow.Last week Howie was up 6 oz and a whole inch! That's the second month in a row he's gained weight and the first height he's gained since 8-9 months. The ped told Matt that we didn't need to take him in again until his 18 month appointment. It was Howie's catch phrase that got him out of the monthly weigh ins. He pointed at the wallpaper in the exam room and said, "there's a car." I guess speaking full sentences at 15 months is pretty good evidence that he's just small and not suffering developmentally.
So, what's different about the last month that might have finally caused him to grow? I started a new job. I've been gone in the evenings. Every night, Matt tells me how Howie eats a ton for dinner. I can't get that kid to eat for anything. To steal a phrase from Sabra- he plays Ghandi. Does the best damn impression I've ever seen. Maybe it's because there's an open milk bar when I'm around, or maybe he just doesn't like my cooking. The kid does have weird taste. This morning I got him to eat 4 bites of cream of wheat. The kicker is that I had made it an hour ago and it was completely cold and considerably rubbery. sick.
I think it might be time to wean, since he clearly eats more solids and grows when I'm not around to let him nurse all he wants. That's going to suck. The kid is a boob addict. Plus, I'm certain the immune system boost from breast feeding is the reason he's been so healthy. We're in the middle of fighting the first cold of his life. Really, he's not doing too bad considering that this week Tedi got prescibed antibiotics for the sinus infection she developed from this cold.
One last thought on love making little things grow. I was my mom's smallest baby and am now the tallest of all my sisters. That's an interesting point to ponder.
3 Comments:
i'm sure the growth is a huge relief! here's to weaning...
Yay for growing Howie!
I've got a couple of boob men in my family... lol. And love is abig part of it, not just solid food. So, you aren't dispensible yet. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home