Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Finally on the front end of a trend

I've always been a bargain/clearance shopper. I think it comes from growing up without much money and having to pay for nearly everything on my own. In high school a friend once asked my why I only ever looked at the clearance racks. I just shrugged rather than explain that my parents didn't pay for my clothes. Plus, I think it's fun to find an awesome deal. Target is by far my favorite store. I know where every clearance rack in the store is- another subject that is sometimes the focus of teasing.

The problem with being a clearance shopper is that your new things are most often out of season. A perfect example would be the futon I have in my office. Last fall I bought a twin sized duvet set that fit and worked perfectly as a cover. It was bright stripes on one side and hibiscus on the other. I got tired of it after having it bright and cheery all winter and a few weeks ago I found a new cover (super clearance, naturally). I also found some pillows at a steal. I originally bought them because even buying the whole pillow was a great price for the pillow form inside. My mom came to visit the last weekend of March and her only comment for the new cover was that my last one was much more "Eastery." I'll include pictures rather than try to describe the new colors/look. (I've since removed the tags, this was taken when I was still trying to decide to go with it).




Matt's parents came to visit in February and his mom made us curtains for the kitchen and nook. She did a phenomenal job. We modified a style that I had seen on a message board, but she improvised based completely on photos and a few general instructions. I think it's a testament to her talent that people ask where I bought them. I love to tell them that she made them for me. I also like to tell them that I'm one hell of a cutter and presser. Like I learned at the one enrichment night when I tried to fool myself that I might actually learn to sew- you can't have good sewing without good cutting and pressing. I also think it's funny that no one asks if I made them. I guess they know me well enough to know that I can't do anything in a straight line, let alone sew.

Matt and I painted the kitchen to match. At the last minute I went with the darker color. I regretted it for several weeks, but it's really grown on me. I think my mind was just rejecting any color at all since we'd spent the first year in this house drowning in a sea of beige.





I've been looking for new towels and rugs since we made the change 6 weeks ago. Target didn't have anything in that color range, and I rarely get to any other store. Last week they had some beige/tan sets on clearance. Even though that's what we're trying to move away from, I figured they would work better than the pale blue items that used to be the colors in my kitchen. There was a whole stack and not on *super* clearance yet, so I decided to take my chances and hope the price came down. Then I turned the corner into the kitchen linens aisle. WAAAA - it was like angels were singing. There in the new arrivals were towels that will go perfectly in my kitchen. I was giddy. For once, I've got something in my house that is just coming in rather than going out. Did I buy them? No, of course not. They weren't even on sale yet.

8 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, April 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

rofl. i wouldn't buy them either. wait about a month or so. angels sing at my target too. only, it's usually in the candy aisle.

 
At 2:04 PM, April 04, 2006, Blogger Rachelle said...

I love a good clearnace sale! Thanks for posting on my blog. Welcome to the dark blogging side!

 
At 5:03 PM, April 04, 2006, Blogger Rachau said...

I love your Kitchen Val.Howie is getting so big and cute!

 
At 6:31 PM, April 04, 2006, Blogger Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

Everytime I go shopping, I wish you were with me. There are some items I'm waiting for Target to clearnce, too. Because you *know* they will. Eventually.

 
At 11:20 PM, April 04, 2006, Blogger Rachau said...

Val i had to go and look at the Target clearnace sales today.And there not even half price!So i will go and look agin in a weeks time!
I love a good clearnace sale also!

 
At 11:32 PM, April 04, 2006, Blogger Lee said...

I love clearance!! One great thing about Target is you know it will go on clearance!!!

 
At 10:09 AM, April 05, 2006, Blogger QueenMeadow said...

rofl, I was about to fall over in shock thinking that you bought them. I'm happy to know that I know you somewhat and knew you would wait, lol.

Yay for the right colors though :)

 
At 3:23 PM, April 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Valarie, mom had mentioned checking out your blog to see the curtains-way cute! i love seeing new pictures of my favorite nephew as well!! i'm lucky that our target sends things to clearance every two weeks so i check out the regular racks and plan on a return trip in a few weeks. Happy Birthday, by the way!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home