Sunday, April 09, 2006

Getting older

28- not old by any means, but it's got me in a pensive mood. Matt asked me last night if I feel older. Unquestionably, yes- and it kind of snuck up on me. When I was in orientation to start work, they told us that shift seniority in our class would be determined by age. I looked around and got discouraged because there couldn't have been more than about 5 people younger than me. Wrong. I was number 34 out of 52. That was my first hint that I was older than my brain was processing.

I remember feeling a little of this last fall when Matt turned 28. I kept saying that it sounds so old, but that's not really what I mean. It's just that it isn't young anymore. We're well past 25 and no longer a young couple or young parents. We're not the young hotshots at work. We're just kind of middle of the road. No one is surprised at your achievements because you've had plenty of time to work on them and should be mature enough to tackle big tasks (not that I've done anything great lately, but Matt never ceases to make me proud). He tried to argue last night, telling me it was all a matter of perception. Well, I perceive us getting older. All the white hairs I keep finding are making sure of that.

I need to find a teenage girl from our neighborhood to watch Howie for a few hours. I remember babysitting for people my age when I was in high school, and that makes me feel old.

9 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, April 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday?

And what makes me feel old? Abbie is a sunbeam. I'm a mom of a primary kid. OLD FART.

 
At 3:44 PM, April 09, 2006, Blogger Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Happy birthday, princess....you'll always be younger than me. Hell, we weren't even in high school at the same time. *sigh*

:o)

 
At 4:22 PM, April 09, 2006, Blogger QueenMeadow said...

Happy Birthday! and ditto Char, I'm older than her ;)

My birthdays don't make me feel old anymore, but my kids birthdays do :P

 
At 4:29 PM, April 09, 2006, Blogger Rachau said...

Happy Birthday Val.
I hope you had a super fun day!
Enjoy you younger years lol.

 
At 4:44 PM, April 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Happy Birthday Val! I kept thinking you were only 27, all the math I did in my head you couldn't be 28 - I'm ONLY 30, if only for 15 more days, that's where the math works! :o) Love you Jenn

 
At 9:31 PM, April 09, 2006, Blogger sheri said...

Happy Birthday!
Frankly, I was kinda happy when I turned 30 (and that's a whole 2 years off for you!) because I finally felt like a "real adult". I felt like I was in my 20's forever. You wanna talk old, though...Jehremy's 36. 36! My dad had a daughter w/a driver's license and dating at 36! lol

 
At 7:12 PM, April 10, 2006, Blogger Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

happy birthday! belated and all. I hate that I'm in that next catagory when filling out statistical information. No longer 20-25. Yeah, I'm feeling it, too. sigh.

 
At 9:19 PM, April 10, 2006, Blogger Lei said...

Well, you're younger than me baby!

:)

Happy burfday...

 
At 2:27 PM, April 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

one of the perks of being with someone 10+ years older than me is that i think that i will forever feel young, or at least really guilty about saying "i feel so old"!!:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home