Friday, April 21, 2006

I couldn't help but overhear...

My neighbor was sitting in her car talking on a cell phone this morning when I went out to bring the trash cans back in. Weird, but whatever. I stayed out to do some weeding while Howie played in the grass. We were on the side of the yard next to her house and she got out of her car to bring in her trash barrel. Still on the phone, she starts talking rather loudly about receiving a letter about their chocolate lab running loose. It mentioned him by name and said that even if he's in the garage, he needs to be on a leash. She seemed rather upset to have received this notice.

Well, he charges every person who walks by, and though I've never heard of death by tail wagging, it can be a little disconcerting. Also, they scream his name every time he runs out. It could have been anyone in the neighborhood who doesn't like a very large and enthusiastic dog running toward their children who turned them in. Given the circumstances in which she was proclaiming it while I was outside, I'm afraid she thinks it was us.

It totally wasn't. We might not be the most social or outgoing neighbors (I get that from my mom), but we know Hank isn't going to hurt anyone and would never turn them in for that. Overall, he's pretty good, as far as dogs go. I wanted to say something but didn't have a chance or the guts to do it.

Should I approach her later? What if they don't suspect us; will that make it look like I have a guilty conscience? I'm baking some banana bread now. Maybe I'll take a loaf over later. I couldn't help but overhear...

3 Comments:

At 8:59 PM, April 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'd do nothing. i'm lazy.

 
At 9:08 PM, April 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your unsocialbe mother would do nothing. Something else you got from her was an over-active conscience that feels guilt by association. You heard her talking about it, therefore you are aware of it, which automatically makes you guilty. Makes perfect sense. ;o)

 
At 9:37 PM, April 21, 2006, Blogger sheri said...

I think your mom is totally right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home