I think I want that
What? Sarah McLachlan's new Christmas Album. I saw her promoting it on The Tonight Show Wednesday night. Even though the song she sang (River) was a little depressing for a Christmas song, the rest of the playlist has me excited. I love her music. and to have her singing Christmas songs? even better.I've always loved Christmas music. I own more Christmas albums than the rest of my music collection combined. I think it goes back to my mom breaking it out November 1st. She claims one month just isn't enough. I usually hold back and start listening Thanksgiving weekend (that's partially for Matt's sake). I love the Christmas season and the memories and feelings that the music brings back. It's even more special to me now that we have Howie.
He was born the first part of December and the music always takes me back to that week. Especially vivid are the memories of driving in the car on the cold mornings, both on the day he was born and a week later when we finally got to bring him home. I was shivering from the cold and from excitement. It also reminds me of the one hour a day we would leave the hospital in the days after I was discharged, but when we were still sleeping there. They closed the nicu during shift changes and we would run home to scarf down dinner, check messages and grab anything we would need for the next day. Christmas music was our soundtrack for that time.
The station we listened to must have used the same playlist every day, because the same songs always seemed to be playing. There's a song by Vanessa Williams (of whom I am generally not a fan) that brings back powerful memories of the uncertainty of that time. All the emotions of being a new mom coupled with Howie being sick never failed to make me tear up when I heard it. For all they played it the year he was born, I only heard it a few times last year. It's probably a good thing because I would have either been a blubbering mess by the end of the season, or not effected by it at all anymore.
As much as I love Christmas music, I do think less is more. When scanning the stations in our rental car, I came across a station playing Carol of the Bells. It was Labor Day weekend and I figured it must be a song that had lyrics added and has been adapted to suit the Christmas season and it was a classical station playing the instrumental, non-Christmas version. I was surprised to learn that, because I hadn't ever realized it, but soon discovered I was way off track. I had found a station that plays nothing but Christmas music, all day, everyday.
Now, that is more than a little excessive to me. It would be like eating home-made caramels all year and Thanksgiving dinner every week, or filling your house with lovely decorations and yummy Christmas-y smells all the time. As much as I love those things, I think it would take away part of the fun and anticipation of the holiday season. There are some things for me that are so uniquely special to that season, that I don't want to detract from that.
So, department stores might set up their displays in September, my grocery store may already be selling eggnog, and some of you probably have half of your shopping done, but I'm going to wait. Like eating the whole pan of brownies while it is still hot, I'm going to leave all things Christmas for the proper season. Rather than spread it out and get tired of it, I want to enjoy it all together and have each piece add to the others.
Yes, I'll still buy that new cd, but maybe not just yet.
13 Comments:
Um, totally picked it up at Costco this morning....listening to it right now.
***insert embarassed face here***
It's fab, btw.031
Aaahhhh Christmas Music. I too have more of these cd's than any other. Holy tears and goosebumps reminding me of that oh so memorable December week. I'm sure much more for you.
.031 on last post courtesy of my kid.
Char's kid is smart. That is her age, afterall.
And I've been counting the days until Halloween. Mostly because the next day is when my Directv music stations start playing Christmas music. And I'm a nerd like that. Oh man, I love the holiday season! And I've found that, like most things in my life, I enjoy the anticipation more than the actual "event"
"I had found a station that plays nothing but Christmas music, all day, everyday" oooh, where?
Wonderful post. I agree with your mom, one month is just not enough, we decorate and get the CDs out the day after Thanksgiving also.
What precious memories to have, of wonderful moments, and of sad -still important- moments.
I think it’s true, that we have a soundtrack for our memories.
I hope you don't mind me reading your blog again?
I love Christmas also.I love the music.I put mine on the first of december and play them non stop!
I have a few cd's i play just to put the christmas tree up lol I sing along oud and don't care what i sound like!
I am going to try adn find that cd and add it to my collection also!
See, Christmas music is so much more inspiring than what some songs bring back for me. I can't listen to a couple of songs without wanting to barf, because they bring back the horrible morning sickness I had with my oldest.
I'm with you - less is more. Do you have BNL's Christmas CD?
I love it too, the day after Thanksgiving when the stations break out the holiday music. I try to buy one new holiday CD every year but what I really want is copies of all the record albums my parents played when I was a kid.
I honestly cannot bring myself to buy a single Christmas gift until after Thanksgiving. It just feels so wrong. I will be totally up a creek this year if I wait that long since baby is poised to arrive around that time. Nothin' like working under pressure, eh?
You are a writer, Lady.
My favorite Christmas cd is Amy Grant's Home for Christmas - "Mary's Song" always has me bawling.
I saw that performance on the Tonight Show too and thought it was good. I didn't realize until then that "River" was a Christmas song. I'll have to check out the rest of the cd.
I agree, you are a writer. Who would've ever thunk?
Keep the Christmas music coming!
Love ya,
MOM
I love christmas music- I made my parents sing hark the herald angels sing every week in FHE for about 4yrs growing up
So so So funny!! I am a big fan of Sarah too!
What?! I didn't know she had a xmas album out! Thank you for spreading the news!
Post a Comment
<< Home