Saturday, October 07, 2006

little sickly sickerson

note- a somewhat disgusting post about a toddler with a gastrointestinal virus.

Howie has had a long couple of days, and ours as his parents have been almost as bad. He's been truly sick so few times that I don't deal with it well. It started Thursday morning with his stomach making awful noises. He clutched it and told us that it hurt so many times over the next two days that he started to consistantly get the r sound in there. Cute, but oh so sad.

Other items on the sad scale include him throwing up for hours Thursday evening. He would wake up, whimper "help", vomit, and then his eyes would roll back and he'd pass out again. That's not good state for over protective parents. We were a little freaked out and spent the evening alternately cuddling and rocking him and exchanging wide-eyed glances that said, "holy crap. what the heck are we supposed to do now?"

We scared him by thrusting a bowl in his face so many times that by the end of the evening he would swallow the vomit back down. So sad. Almost equally so was him crying softly for a towel after puking on his bedding in the middle of the night. It was more than I could take when he woke begging for a glass of water, which basically rebounded off his stomach and came right back up, and then cried for more to drink. I handed him over to Matt to rock him to sleep at that point. We did get some sprite to stay down the next time he woke. That greatly improved sleep for all of us and slowed the rate of growth of the mound of laundry at the foot of our bed.

We're well versed in the habits of sleeping with a puking kid after the first year of his life. Co-sleeping with a projectile vomiter desensitizes you a little. We stacked flannel receiving blankets under us and kept a pile of quilts handy to cover us. We'd strip off a layer of flannel and replace the quilt if necessary and go back to sleep. We're pretty good about guiding the direction of his mouth and don't think much about cupping our hands in front of a gagging child. Lucky for us, he hadn't eaten much and it wasn't all that different from the milk allergy barfing we got to experience when he was still only breast feeding.

He was doing better Friday. At least the lethargy and vomiting were gone, but he was still very much a sick boy. He still clutched his stomach at regular intervals and we kept him in disposable diapers all day. Given the frequent, frothy and putrid state of the contents of said diapers, I'm diagnosing rotavirus - likely from the shopping cart Wednesday. It was the kind with the plastic car on the front for kids to ride in. Against my better judgement, I skipped it wiping with the clorox wipe. This is not going to help me curb my germaphobic tendancies.

I was actually glad to see all the pooping. He tore apart a headphone set on one of our flights last week. I discovered one foam ear piece in his mouth and the other was nowhere to be found. We've been paranoid ever since that he swallowed it and were worried that this was all caused by some sort of blockage. I'm pretty confident in saying that isn't the case.

Here he is watching Pooh twice in a row- note the barf bowl still on the table:

and the way I spent the day- all from the night before:


luckily, Matt folded it all while i worked.

16 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, October 07, 2006, Blogger Millie said...

Yuck... I'm so sorry. He looks so forlorn. :( Hope he's feeling better soon.

 
At 10:13 AM, October 07, 2006, Blogger Olivia said...

Oh, that's so sad! Poor Howie!

 
At 11:43 AM, October 07, 2006, Blogger sheri said...

Oh, poor Howie! Poor you and Matt, too! Sick kids is THE WORST feeling in the world. I absolutely hate every bit of it. And when they're pukey sick...even worse. The mess is just too much. (not to mention the worry of them dehydrating, etc) I hope he's feeling much better soon. And that you don't get sick, too.

 
At 3:57 PM, October 07, 2006, Blogger Becky said...

Poor baby!!! Kate was that same age when she caught that. NO FUN! poor mommmy and daddy, and most of all, poor baby!

 
At 4:54 PM, October 07, 2006, Blogger Gabriela said...

Poor little guy, I hope he gets better soon.

 
At 6:13 PM, October 07, 2006, Blogger smart mama said...

thats so miserable- I've had smart son sleep on the bathroom floor before- on a stack of towels so I could simply peel one off for fresh layer!

 
At 11:16 AM, October 08, 2006, Blogger beth said...

Oh this was so sad to read. It must have been awful for you guys - traumatic. I hope he's feeling better and you aren't all layered in quilts anymore.

 
At 4:36 PM, October 08, 2006, Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh, those nights never seem to end. I feel so sad for Howie. I have felt so helpless when my kids have had these issues. Hope all is an the mend.

 
At 5:18 PM, October 08, 2006, Blogger Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Poor Howie! Hope he's on the mend!

 
At 8:20 AM, October 09, 2006, Blogger Amber said...

Co-sleeping with a projectile vomiter? That would give me nightmares for weeks!

 
At 11:39 AM, October 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenn and Kim said Howie had been sick. Couldn't get on at home so snuck in here at work. Hope he's over it. Poor guy.

Love you so much.

MOM

 
At 11:42 AM, October 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenn and Kim said Howie was really sick. I could't get in at home so I snuck through here at work.

Hope all is well and Howie is feeling much better.

Love you much,

MOM

 
At 11:50 AM, October 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I thought it went to the top and I couln't see it. Thought you might have blocked it.

Opps.

 
At 1:17 PM, October 09, 2006, Blogger Super Happy Girl said...

Co-sleeping with a projectile vomiter desensitizes you a little.
Tell me about it. It's the worst thing ever and nothing you can do about it. I was also a floor sleeper. Hope he feels tons better, poor guy.

 
At 5:49 PM, October 09, 2006, Blogger Lei said...

oh so many hugs to sweet little howie! i feel so bad for that cute little face! sounds like it was pretty scary... next time remember ginger syrup is a puking child's friend.

 
At 8:52 PM, October 09, 2006, Blogger Nikkie said...

Poor Howie! I really hope he feels better soon. My little guy had something similar last month. It really isn't fun for any of the parties involved.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home