Thursday, May 11, 2006

Credit where credit is due

Yesterday was our anniversary. I'm glad we celebrated last week so that we could dispense with the niceties of acknowledging five years together. Okay, so maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but it was quite a day for both of us. Matt got home just in time to share our traditional frozen confection at 10:30. Well, tradition says ice cream, but the dairy boycott left us with Hagen Daaz sorbet.

Even though it passed quietly, I'm glad it's passed. Much like a child claiming half birthdays, I've been saying "almost five years" for months now. I feel like others don't give us the credit we deserve when I say how long we've been married. Four years just didn't do justice to the roller coaster of experiences we shared in our first few years.

I've felt this way for the past year. Being relative newlyweds in our new neighborhood means lots of patronizing smiles and knowing looks when we're asked how long we've been married. I know they're thinking we're just another young family, even if I don't think we're so young anymore. Comments that we're just getting started and reminiscent sighs are somewhat irritating.

I don't claim to know their frame of reference, or even what's ahead for us, but I feel like Matt and I have a stronger relationship and are closer than I could have ever imagined. We've only achieved that through the things we've shared, both good and bad. To have that discounted in a way because of the year on the calendar is frustrating. How much longer until I can start claiming five and a half years?

Happy Anniversay, Matt! I couldn't have hoped for a more caring, supportive or understanding husband. I'm so excited to see what the next five years bring.


Note: please disregard the time stamp. Our anniversary was Thursday. I started this that night and then got distracted playing with the template. I didn't actually write and post it until Friday morning.

8 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, May 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

5? Let's make it 50. ;)

- mr. mr

 
At 10:57 AM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

I have felt that way so many times. I hate the "knowing" looks. Especially from people that have only been married a couple of years longer. Happy 5! thanks for sharing it with my kids :p

 
At 10:59 AM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Rachelle said...

Happy anniversary! Congrats on 5 years! We're coming up on 6 and it's the best 6 years of my life!

 
At 8:53 PM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Amber said...

Only five? Sheesh...

;)

 
At 8:24 AM, May 13, 2006, Blogger QueenMeadow said...

5? you are such a baby :P

Happy anniversary :)

 
At 9:45 AM, May 13, 2006, Blogger Jennifer said...

you two have CERTAINLY paid your dues. happy late anniversary

 
At 1:47 PM, May 14, 2006, Blogger Doreen said...

So can I look at you knowingly since we're coming up on 7 at the end of the month? LOL Now here's a question for you, has anyone - not related or even close friend or OB/MW - ever told you to go have sex to get labor started??? Ha, happened to us when we were pg with Tyler...

 
At 2:29 PM, May 14, 2006, Blogger Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Only 5 years? You must have gotten married late.

:o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home