Thursday, September 21, 2006

A meme and some randomness

I was tagged by thoroughly blissful Millie J, or whoever she is. I believe I've seen this called the "famous in my own lunchtime" meme.

What do you like most about where you live?
I like that the people are down to earth and genuine for the most part. I like that people are friendly and the twenty somethings working at Subway seem generally happy to have a job, as opposed to the 16 year olds with major attitude near our old house. Mostly, I like that when I walked into our house I knew it was ours, even though the location was miles away from anywhere we had planned.

Is there anything strange about where you live?
Other than it being the ghetto? those down to earth and genuine people can also be very redneck/white trash. As for the metropolitan area as a whole- everything is one extreme or the other. From politics and religion to preference for french fry condiments- there is no middle ground.

What's one of your all time favorite music albums, and why?
that's a hard one. Matt's the music connoisseur in our family. If we're on a road trip and I'm driving (generally the only time I choose the album) I'll go for The Mr. T. Experience, The Refreshments or the mix we made for our wedding favors. Each takes me back to a time when I felt great, or when it helped me to feel better.

Did you have a passion for something as a kid that you still have now? (If not - what is one of your passions now?)
I'm not a very passionate person. Not much gets me fired up now and pretty well nothing did as a kid. Probably reading, but I don't do nearly enough of it anymore. At least not of books. When I do pick up a book, I can't put it down until I'm finished. Oh, and babies. I've always loved babies but these days I'm a bit more choosey about the ones I spend my time with.

What do you like most about having a blog?
interaction on my own terms. I can update friends and family or see what they're up to without having to take the time out to contact them individually. It give me a reason to write things down, which also helps me work through things. Also, comments- especially funny ones. often the comment string is way better than what I wrote.

Who am I tagging?
Sabra and Sheri because I want to hear about where they live

****************************************************************************

I'm still whining about how cold it is here. This morning Howie was standing by the door to say good-bye to Tedi. When she opened the door, he pulled his arms to his chest, hunched over and said. "oooooooh it's cooooooold!" Stinking cute, but that's about when I finally broke down and turned on the furnace.

Today is the seven year anniversary of when Matt and I first hooked up. I can't really say started dating, or our first date or anything that means more than talking and making out all night.

Howie peed in his potty chair today. I was changing his diaper and he started telling me "potty!" and asking for his chair. I sat him down and took a little potty break myself. We talked about it the whole time and I turned on the tap at the sink because running water was part of the bath night incident. I thought he had just sat there like always, and was pretty surprised when he stood up. I started yelling for Matt and we had a little celebration. Matt thought the house was on fire or something. No, just a little pee in the potty.

Later I thought I should ask Howie if he needed to go again. I decided against it and realized that I'm not ready to put that kind of effort into that yet. Diapers it is.

***ETA one more bit of random: Grey's anatomy is officially off my watch list. I hardly watched toward the end of last season, but whose idea was it to put it on at 7 when my kid is still up? I guess we'll be watching two men kiss on the office instead.

12 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, September 21, 2006, Blogger Char @ Crap I've Made said...

I love the first furnace run of the season smell. Does that make me weird(er)?

 
At 11:47 PM, September 21, 2006, Blogger Amber said...

And that is why I love living in las Vegas. Seriously- you guys are turning on your furnaces- this is when las vegas weather is perfect. PERFECT. My birthday is my favorite time of year here. The nights are crisp and cool, the days are picture perfect. Seriously love it.

Your kid? Totally cute. Also, potty training? Tons of work. You made the right choice.

 
At 12:16 AM, September 22, 2006, Blogger sheri said...

ditto amber on the furnace thing. Uh, I've still got my ceiling fans on during the day and all my windows open to let in the nice breeze! (granted, it's a smoke-filled breeze the past 2 freaking weeks, but whatever) Although it is cold enough to turn OFF the ceiling fans at night! Woot!
Also, I ABHOR heater air. Probably the part I like least about going home to Colorado in the winters. "Heater air" all day long. Gag.

 
At 7:19 AM, September 22, 2006, Blogger Millie said...

The heater smell makes me want to put on a sweater and make soup and bread. I like it.

Thanks for doing the meme, and the name flip was totally funny.

 
At 7:44 AM, September 22, 2006, Blogger Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

turned the funace on for all of 10 minutes last night. our house heats up fast. but I LOVE this time of year. Bring it on :) And YAY YAY YAY on the pee!!! Here's hoping he's a #2 and not a K.

 
At 10:45 AM, September 22, 2006, Blogger Super Happy Girl said...

The Mr. T Experience: I actually thought it was Mr T singing. Google set me straight, pretty cool music.

I turned on my heater this morning, it smelled deliciously warm.
Way to go on the potty thing, hurray for peeing in the right place.

 
At 4:02 PM, September 22, 2006, Blogger J Fife said...

Heater smell in our house smells like burning hair. Burning dog hair. Not pleasant at all. But, I still love the first cool mornings of the year.

Good luck with the potty training. I think I'm failing in that area.

 
At 5:03 PM, September 23, 2006, Blogger Nikkie said...

My partner won't even let me turn on the heat yet. He's not convinced its cold enough yet!

 
At 8:28 PM, September 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy oh boy!!! Turn it on. I get colder earlier every year. So much for working in the office.
Valarie; I will be in Salt Lake tomorrow evening Sun. 24th late, I'll call you when I'm on my way. Not much time, but I will buy breakfast Monday morning. Bring all your friends!!!!!
Word verifcation is totally polish. kvnskpi. sorry !!!!

 
At 2:26 PM, September 24, 2006, Blogger sheri said...

Wait
Free breakfast?!
I'm getting on a plane right now.

 
At 9:13 PM, September 24, 2006, Blogger Emily said...

LOL- all her friends? Are you paying for airfare too? woot!

Yay for pee! And I love the furnace smell too.

 
At 6:31 PM, September 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We put on our heater every morning and every evening. Cool weather makes me feel like eating soup.

I'm the same way with books. Drives my husband nuts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home