Tuesday, September 12, 2006

our first call to poison control

once again, a case of "it's too quiet".

I went searching for Howie and found him in the corner by his bed. (There's a cozy triangle made by the edge of his mattress, a side of the bay window and a bin of extra bedding. The throw pillows from our bed end up there. He likes to snuggle down there and sometimes we find him sleeping in it.) He was chowing down on a tube of face balm. Now, the brand is soothing naturals, so you wouldn't think there's much to worry about. The problem was that I received it as a part of a marketing research study and all the back label says is "safety tip: keep out of reach of children" and then the research company contact info where I would expect to find the ingredients. Taking a lesson from the smart mama guide on how not to kill your children, I called 1-800-222-1222 (write that down).

I explained what he ate, how much he ate (1.5" x .5" x .5") and how he was responding (mostly crying because I took it away with greasy cheeks and he smells pretty good). The gentleman was very helpful and after a short wait assured me it was mostly parafin and beeswax, with a few extracts. "I just searched for it on the internet." he said. Well, duh. I could have done that. He probably shouldn't have told me that because I'm pretty sure that will be my first step in the future, unless Howie does something like spray himself in the face with kitchen cleaner. I've heard little boys are known to do that.

I'm just glad it wasn't the tube with black X's all over it. That's the one we use when he gets chaffed from his diaper.

13 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, September 12, 2006, Blogger Nikkie said...

I wonder if it tasted as good as it smelled! Silly Boy!

 
At 12:11 PM, September 12, 2006, Blogger sheri said...

Oh man! Little stinker!
Glad he's fine. Too bad it wasn't Dr. Pepper chapstick. I hear that stuff is good

 
At 1:24 PM, September 12, 2006, Blogger J Fife said...

Silence trips my mom alarm around here too. I'm glad it all turned out fine.

 
At 1:47 PM, September 12, 2006, Blogger Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Ah yeah. My good buddies at poison control. Did you tell them I said "hello"?

 
At 1:50 PM, September 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah yes. 800-222-1222... good number to have before your child eats an entire pack of birth control pills...

 
At 3:47 PM, September 12, 2006, Blogger Olivia said...

too quiet = up to know good. I have't had to call poison control yet though.

On the bright side, it should be awhile before he cheeks get chapped.

 
At 4:17 PM, September 12, 2006, Blogger Super Happy Girl said...

"I just searched for it on the internet." Great, thanks.

Too quiet, a definite sign something is up.

My kids ate some tiger balm once at my MIL's (she left the open jar with them). I called the PCC, they said I had to worry about the camphor. And worry I did, didn't sleep a wink that night, thankfully no one got sick, other than MIL who felt super bad.

Glad you kiddo is ok!

 
At 5:40 PM, September 12, 2006, Blogger Blackeyedsue said...

I am glad he is okay. Better safe than sorry, right?

 
At 7:00 PM, September 12, 2006, Blogger beth said...

I guess it must have tasted good for him to get through the whole tube. That's scary though. Glad it wasn't something worse.

 
At 9:33 PM, September 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least that's a sensible thing to eat. Why mine ate wall plaster is still a mystery.

Glad he's ok.

~ubercyl, who switched to blogger beta

 
At 12:34 AM, September 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad he's okay! He's getting a little devious huh? I think I need a picture of the little bugger...

Amber who just switched to beta too.

 
At 3:31 PM, September 13, 2006, Blogger smart mama said...

welcome to the "poison control calling deliquent parent club" at least you can know you did the right thing

 
At 9:05 PM, September 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad he's ok. We've only had one call to poison control; a downed bottle of tylenol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home