Missed it by a minute
I tried making caramels Saturday- note the tried. The digital candy thermometer set to hard ball stage started beeping at 244, but the recipe said 248. I ignored it and let them cook another minute. Then, I discovered that I'm too weak to hold our heavy 3 quart saucepan (which the recipe insisted specifically that I use) plus two pounds of caramel one handed. They got a little extra cook time while I got Matt over to spread them into the pan. I was a bit nervous about the firmness while eating the remains from the pan, and my fears were confirmed later when I tried pressing with my finger to see if they had set.They aren't exactly hard candies, but it takes about 10 seconds in your mouth before you can effectively chew them. They taste good though, and we kept going back all day Sunday to break off another chunk. I finally gave in and cut the whole pan to make our snacking more efficient. It may be another 11 lb gain this month. Also, I think I have a blister from gripping the knife while I tried to cut them.
I'm going to try again Monday to have some to give to neighbors. I'm not too worried about the marginal failure. It was only the third time I ever tried them. I think I'm going to attempt fudge for the first time this week, too. I hope to have candy making perfected within 30 years. Then 50-80 years from now someone can say, "My grandma used to make the best Christmas candies." And you all thought that I didn't have any long term goals.
16 Comments:
I am feeling a bit sad. We have not done any baking or candy making of any kind (Unless you count the nestle pre-cut, ready-to-bake with Christmas candies on them).
Our Grandma makes the best candies (along with our mom of course!) Spud bars, mint cremes, toffee (Well that's mine) but I need to get on the ball.
I'll just cook with the in-laws this weekend. (Truthfully, I tried to get Tonya to start making the goodies so I can enjoy the minute I pull in.)
There no more guilt - though I do want to be that kind of grandma too!
Was that your longest comment? I should have just written a post on my own and referenced you to it! Ha! Love you
Yum!! I hope you get it perfected. Tomorrow, I'm attempting cookies. I just wish that Christmas baking wasn't so time consuming!
Comment on Jennifer's note....I do distinctly remember your husband baking those the other day when I was over. So, you can't claim a "we" on that one. ;) (not that I HAVE done any baking at all this year!)
You made your own Werthers! Thats what I'd tell everyone anyway. Plus you get kudos for making your own candy anyway, how dare they complain!
I've not done any holiday baking in years. I'm pretty much the worst mom ever. The neighbors are getting Clorox wipes this year (don't worry, they're in festive holiday containers).
Have fun with the fudge.
:o)
Yum, homemade caramels! We're doing the whole holiday baking thing too. This year I am conquering fun flavored popcorns. I'm going for easy this year!
I'm sure they'll turn out perfectly this 2nd time around! And yum!
My plans for this week? Catch up a bit on cleaning and bake my butt off. Well, I'll be eating my butt back on, but whatever.
I've never had a Christmas where a week of baking was not included. LOVE IT!
I made caramel last week. It actually turned out ok, though I don't know how since I did everything wrong :P.
Meadow
My hats off to anyone who bakes and makes candy over the holidays. Sounds like they turned out yummy.
I used to bake and hand out treats to the neighbors. Now, it's a good day if I can just get dinner on the table. I can't seem to find the time to do much of the fun stuff anymore.
Good luck on the 2nd round.
Aw man! I made caramels on Saturday and my recipe says to cook to 237. Must have cooked an extra couple minutes because mine are slighly harder than I like them (and hella hard to cut, lol)
But don't they taste good?!
I was SOO going to try to make carmels this year. YOu may have changed my mind. I don't feel like bothering. Maybe next year!
Feel free to send some of that hard stuff up here! I don't like my dental work anyway.
You are awesome for "trying" three times now. I don't even attempt that candy making stuff. I "tried" peanut brittle once and was so mad that all the ingredients were wasted... perfectly peanuts and sugar in the garbage!
Since I got two expensive boxes of chocolates as gifts last week, I have gained 3 lbs... I know I will gain another 5 before the year is up... I can't say no.
insert "good" between perfectly and peanuts... whoops.
I will stick to the cookies. It is only the 19th and I am really pretty sure I have already gained that 11lbs this week :)Thank goodness I have the excuse I am eating for two.
Amen on long term goals. I've never tried candy but have always wanted to - should've bought a thermometer at Sur La Table.
Glad they're edible, at least. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home