Thursday, May 18, 2006

move over Scrubbing Bubbles

I've always been a Scrubbing Bubbles fan, but I've come to face to fact that it's near worthless on hard water buildup. I've always made excuses for it, being a devout user, such as I was. I'd tell myself that our water was too hard and if my beloved Scrubbing Bubbles didn't work, nothing would.

Last week I was at the dollar store and since I spend too much money there anyway, I figured I'd try something new. It's just $1, right? I thought I was following Meadow's recommendation and bought this, but I was wrong. She likes Kaboom. I don't think I'll be trying Kaboom any time soon, because I am in love with The Works.



I bought the squeeze bottle, rather than the spray. It comes out fast, so I used a lot, but you should have seen the stuff running down the drain. I'll admit that our bathtub has been somewhat neglected since I've started working. Heck, since I had Howie. We've definitely fallen out of the routine of cleaning it every saturday morning. So long, soap scum. buh-bye, build-up. I wish I would have had it last spring when I spent two full days trying to get the shower doors clean before we moved out our last apartment.

Unlike other strong cleaners, there's not much of a smell, but it's still not the type of thing you want to climb in with and rinse while you're showering. I'm glad I grabbed some of the rubber gloves that I took from Howie's dr's office (I pilfered a few when they told us we had to give him suppositories). With "more active ingredients than any national brand", I think it may have taken some skin off, given the chance.

I was so impressed with how easy it was to clean our shower that I tried it on the design flaw divot in our kitchen sink. I mean, seriously, who thought it was a good idea to put a dent right under the faucet? I've put some blue food coloring in it to show just how silly the design is.



Water is constantly pooled there and the resulting deposit withstood every method I could think of. I've scrubbed, I've scraped, I've even filled it with vinegar and let it sit overnight. It was impervious to the aforementioned Scrubbing Bubbles, Soft Scrub, and even Magic Erasers. It mocked me daily. I'm happy to report that in less than 30 seconds and with minimal toothbrush action, the scale on the sink is gone. GONE!

Use for use, I don't think it's less expensive than other cleaners, even at $1 a bottle. At least, given the amount I ended up dumping on my shower walls. I probably used 1/4 of the bottle, but it still ought to last 4-6 months at our current rate of proper shower scouring.

12 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Good to know!

I'm totally giggling at you food coloring the sink just for your blogging public.

 
At 2:25 PM, May 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ditto char. doesn't that defeat the purpose of cleaning it? i guess not if you've got the works.

 
At 2:26 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger emlouisa said...

Okay, which dollar store?

And I'm loving the food coloring too.

 
At 3:23 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

Totally going to buy some! And I agree with the others, you putting blue food coloring in the dent is killing me.

 
At 6:53 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Valarie said...

dollar tree- and go ahead and laugh. I do it all for you.

 
At 10:31 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Jennifer said...

there are no awesome dollar stores here. it may be worth paying full price at target, aye? i too am an avid scrubbing bubbles user. must be time to change

 
At 10:51 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Kermit~the~Frog said...

How bizarre--I just finished up my last bit of scrubbing bubbles and decided not to get it anymore, because it was doing bupkus for the soap scum. Dollar Tree, I will have to remember that.

 
At 8:26 AM, May 19, 2006, Blogger QueenMeadow said...

hmmm.....I have a hard water spot on my kitchen sink that wont go away. I'm going to try my kaboom and if it doesn't work...dollar tree here I come ;)

 
At 9:37 AM, May 19, 2006, Blogger Rachelle said...

I am so buying some of that! And I love the food coloring.

 
At 10:18 AM, May 19, 2006, Blogger Doreen said...

Hehe, yeah, the works is good. We had these icky hard water stains in our toilet, and they never went away. I just randomly picked up the works toilet cleaner one day, and wow, sparkly toilet is an understatement. :p Who knew cleaning the bathroom could bring such joy???

 
At 1:02 PM, May 19, 2006, Blogger Blackeyedsue said...

I am so getting this. Another BANG for your buck at the dollar store is the Bissell window cleaner (orange scented). I will never use Windex again. This stuff is magic...no streaks and smells good too!

 
At 10:29 PM, May 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess sometimes it pays to be poor...had I known I would have shared this secret long ago...I love this stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home