Wednesday, June 21, 2006

in our lovely deseret

things I heard in the local news yesterday

-Utah ranks in the top 10 in the nation for suicide. As a result, a new Suicide Planning Council has been formed. Given the name, I'm uclear on what their exact goal is. It sounds like they're aiming for the number one spot.

-Utah will no longer print election pamphlets in Spanish, citing that doing so is in opposition to English as the official language of the state - can anyone say disenfranchisement? The news report also stated that they would resume publication if ordered so by the State Department. That says to me they know it isn't on the up and up and are hiding behind the pansy-ass official language excuse.

-a citizen speaking on her opposition to a tax increase for the new commuter rail- "taxpayers shouldn't pay for public transportation." Oh, that's right, the funding comes from those money trees the pioneers planted.

4 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, June 21, 2006, Blogger Valarie said...

I think you're onto something. When broken down by age/gender categories, the same report ranked Utah number 1 for young men. I think it definitly warrants further investigation and prevention planning. I just think they picked a horrible name for the taskforce.

 
At 1:44 PM, June 21, 2006, Blogger QueenMeadow said...

Yeah, the taskforce really needs a new name.

And No, I can't say disenfranchisement or whatever it was ;)

 
At 12:12 PM, June 22, 2006, Blogger Amber said...

Makes me glad I don't live in Utah.... ;)

 
At 10:47 PM, June 22, 2006, Blogger Jennifer said...

you mean I would have to pay to ride? good grief ;P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home