Sunday Evening Post
a bit of randomness, but no RockwellWe had a busy weekend, but it has finally slowed down. Meaning: I'm off work, Howie is sleeping, and Matt's work week generally starts a full 12 hours before the civilized world. The dishes are washed (thanks, Matt), I can't find the book I started and there's nothing on TV but reruns, a j-lo movie and a Beethoven's 3rd in Spanish. Nothing left to do but blog.
fell at my feet
We were rushing around at 2:15 yesterday afternoon, trying to find our tickets to a live broadcast of A Prairie Home Companion. We still had to drive Howie 30 minutes to where he would be babysat, get him settled, drive another 20 minutes to downtown, find a place to park, walk to the theatre and be in our seats by 3:45. We had searched everywhere we could think to, including my office with no sign of the tickets. I started going through stacks of papers on my desk again- it's no secret that it is a mess. I had one more pile to sort through a second time, then I was going to consider giving up. I looked down just as I picked up that last stack and there were the tickets, just sitting at my feet.
Lutherans unite
We made it to Abravanel Hall on time and the whole audience seemed to be milling about the lobby and waving across the room to each other. Being somewhat young, introverted and socially unconnected, we were quite sure we had no one at which to wave. Matt was motioning to someone saying "that's Eccles- the rich one." I was getting more self conscious by the second and was just about to tell him that about 20 men in the room could fit that description when someone grabbed my arm. It was the pastor from Matt's church. I really like him. I was surprised that we actually knew someone in the roughly 3,000 people in attendance. Altough given the roots and appeal of the show, I'd be willing to bet there was a disproportionately large number of Lutherans there- for Utah, anyway.
stowaways
Our lawn seems to be growing a new crop of mushrooms. It's entered the akward teenage stage of development and is getting rather full of blemishes and pock marks. I don't think it is an over-watering issue. We're to keep it wet at all times, as there are 7 types of grass seed and the latest variety of which have not sprouted yet. Plus, it's hella-hot in Utah this week and we're well within the recommended amount of watering (on the low-end, even). I think the spores must have come in with the topsoil.
Now if you'll excuse me, Jeeves and Wooster is on. I like British television, but I loves me some Hugh Laurie in any genre, age or accent.
6 Comments:
I think I slid your book underneath the loveseat. Howie seemed to be taking an unhealthy interest in it. I hid it to prevent a page ripping re-enactment ala Dead Poets Society.
MR MR
who has time to read?
I count reading blogs as my reading for the day ;)
You should cook up some 'shrooms and test them out on the neighbors, see if they are poisonous or not, tee hee.
I'm reading Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory McGuire. He also wrote Wicked, but that doesn't mean a whole lot to me since I've never read or seen it.
The show was a lot of fun. It was so neat to see it in person and both Garrison Keillor and Fred Newman are amazing. There's so much more going on than you hear on the radio.
I am so jealous! We listened on Saturday night. Despite living in MN for three years, I never made it to PHC. I was always nursing a baby when we had visitors in town who wanted to go.
THAT would have been fun. I love Garrison Keilor! I was sour on seeing the movie because that little lilo sleezy thing was in it, but it wasn't half bad.
I am putting "Confessions" on my list!
Post a Comment
<< Home