Friday, August 18, 2006

I'm no writer

Heather at One Woman's World asked why we write or blog. She has a theory that almost every blogger out there has a book in the works. I propose that she needs to add the qualifier "good" in front of blogger in that statement. I'm not a writer, and not much of a blogger. Frequent? yes, but move you to tears for good or for bad, bring back strangers day after day, quit my job to live off my blog, good? Not in any sense of the word. So why do it?

The short answer is to keep friends and family in the know. The longer one is that I used to participate in two online message boards. One was large, but rather close knit with many members of which I considered close friends and the other was a group of 12 women who are like sisters to me. Then one day last spring, for reasons that are completely off topic and I won't delve into today, those boards were no longer a part of my life. The members of the small board broke up and are no longer part the large one.

I started a blog because I needed somewhere to put my thoughts that usually went on those boards and to maintain some of the relationships that were jeopardized that day. Those boards were my repository. There were statistics, test levels, milestones and feelings related to my pregnancy and Howie's first year that I never wrote down anywhere else. My mind is like a sieve these days and when the boards were gone, I lost all of that information along with many of the friendships. I moped for days about both. Rather than make the obvious choice and start a journal, I started blogging.

I've never been much of a writer. I'll admit that I failed more than one writing class through high school and college because I just couldn't force out that 12 page argumentative essay. I've never lasted more than three days into keeping a journal. I've heard blogging called exhibitionist journaling, and that couldn't be more true for me. Would I write down how I'm feeling on a particular day if statcounter didn't tell me that my dad has already looked three times to see what I have to say? My sources say no. Blogging has drastically reduced the requirement for calls home to update the grandparents on day to day happenings. If there's anything I'm less fond of than writing, it would be talking on the telephone.

So, I'll keep blogging. I've already been both pleasantly surprised and morbidly embarassed in going back and reading some of my archives. I've found other bloggers who I really admire and enjoy keeping up with their lives. I realize that like a message board, this isn't a permanent format. Blogger and I may break up some day or I may be found out for the big jerk I am and be asked to leave, but for now, I'll keep throwing the banalities of everyday life into cyberspace.

21 Comments:

At 2:00 PM, August 18, 2006, Blogger beth said...

Her question has made me do a lot of thinking about why I blog and what being a writer really means. Of course, I have yet to actually answer the question. But I'm glad you did. The whole idea of blogging is so interesting - I always wonder who I am doing it for. You seem very down to earth about it.

I have a question - you said that with statcounter you could see your dad had been there 3 times. Is that what sitemeter things do? They actually tell you who is coming to your blog? DO you like that you can see that or does it make you obsess over your visitors? (I ask the last part because I know myself, not because you have given me any reason to think you would obsess over something like that.) I'm just curious about that whole area I have yet to learn about.

 
At 2:15 PM, August 18, 2006, Blogger Jennifer said...

I love the fact that you have started blogging, being the family to keep updated, . You have helped me to do the same, (though I pale in comparison). Do you keep copies, i.e. print it out and save it? Can you educate me on this?

 
At 2:27 PM, August 18, 2006, Blogger Valarie said...

Beth, yes it shows you (by location and ISP) who has been to your blog. Generally, it's gibberish, I only know which visitor is my dad because I am obsessive about it. As in, I'll refresh it three (or more) times in the morning before I get around to blogging.

Jenn, I don't, but I need to. This post might be the motivation I need to do that- remembering how sad I was at losing all that other information. I'll let you know what I figure out.

 
At 4:50 PM, August 18, 2006, Blogger sheri said...

Wait. I thought the only reason us 12 women ever communicated was to make fun of others. You mean we all actually get along in other forums as well?

 
At 6:13 PM, August 18, 2006, Blogger Millie said...

I think you're a fine writer. I come back day after day and read your stuff. :) I love your comments for their quality and obvious thought you put into them.

Sorry your message board broke up... I had a chat room I used to hang out in and the day came when that had to stop. I'm glad it came, but I missed those relationships and the times that were good.

 
At 6:59 PM, August 18, 2006, Blogger QueenMeadow said...

I enjoy your writing style, I come back day after day because of that. Not just to keep up with you and the fam, but because it is always an interesting read.

 
At 7:11 PM, August 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been there, done that, doing it again.
I really enjoy your day to day comments about your many mundane moments. Love the pictures of Howie. Just keeping up is my story.
Besides that, I came in here all stressed out, took a look on Jenn's (have to work on her Val)nothing, so I came to yours. Thanks for blogging.

 
At 8:47 PM, August 18, 2006, Blogger Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

As you know, I could ditto so much of that. I think you sell yourself short, though, Val. You may not have been so great at agumentative essays, but I think you've found a writing medium in which you excel.

 
At 10:00 PM, August 18, 2006, Blogger Kermit~the~Frog said...

I think you write pretty well. I myself failed a marking period of AP English because I didn't feel like writing a ten-page paper, and I'm no good at keeping a private journal because nobody reads it, dangit!

I really need to tell my family about my blog. None of them read it, lol.

 
At 10:08 PM, August 18, 2006, Blogger Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Great thoughts. Maybe that's why I do it too? Or, because I want to be like you. And Sabra. Kinda.

 
At 10:17 PM, August 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

exhibitionist journaling. yes. i am guilty of that.

 
At 10:47 PM, August 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it. I live with you, and I still read it everyday to find out what is going on (and to make sure there isn't anything about me). You make me laugh.

 
At 11:13 PM, August 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blogosphere lets the rest of the world get to know you, instead of a select few. I keep reading your mundane moments because I love your sense of humor. And even though this is the second time I've seen/heard you suggest you are a jerk, I still don't believe it.

 
At 5:16 AM, August 19, 2006, Blogger Valarie said...

you are all too kind. I almost turned off comments so it didn't seem like I was fishing, but I'll take what I can get.

 
At 12:25 PM, August 19, 2006, Blogger the lizness said...

Visiting here from OWW, and I completely concur with your post. Blogging is a whole 'nother community, and it is great. It's nice to have outside and objective voices. I learn much from my blogging friends.

 
At 2:48 PM, August 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I check your blog nearly everyday. Sometimes even 2 or 3 times a day. I love the posts of my adorable nephew, he's so dang photogenic (unlike the rest of our family, he must get it from his dad) and despite your claims, I think that you are a very good writer. I often laugh so hard, I end up with tears in my eyes. And since I am usually at work when I am checking your blog, my co-workers often wonder what the heck I am laughing about, so I share. They find your blogs amusing as well, and of course LOVE the pictures of Howie. I check Jennifer's just as often, but with her crzy life, I understand why she doesn't write as often as you.

 
At 3:50 PM, August 19, 2006, Blogger Amber said...

I ditto your post in many ways, except that you're not a good writer (you are) and that you're not interesting (cause you are that too). Also, if you did nothing put post pictures of Howie and tell of your pet killing adventures I'd be back repeatedly...

 
At 2:07 PM, August 20, 2006, Blogger beth said...

Got the sitemeter. I can totally see now when my parents have been to my blog, just like you with your dad. They're insane. They go to my site like 15 times a day! Thanks for the help.

 
At 11:51 AM, August 21, 2006, Blogger J Fife said...

I'm late in commenting on this, but I just had to tell you that I was just asking myself why I blog a few days ago. The main reason that I came up with is telephone avoidance. I despise the telephone. My blog is a great way to keep family (read: in-laws) updated without having to speak to them. (I'm probably off the x-mas gift lists now.)

Also, you are SO a writer. Your sense of humor is quirky and witty. Whatever your reason for blogging, I hope you keep it up.

 
At 12:20 AM, August 22, 2006, Blogger Lee said...

I enjoy your blog and learning what is going on with you.
I am not a writer, I ramble but I am getting some of me out, and it works.

 
At 9:27 PM, August 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been out of town, so I just saw this today. You ARE a writer, and a good one from what I saw today. Just keep writing. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home