Thursday, July 06, 2006

new stages in parenting

Howie likes to pour his milk into his oatmeal. Although we are trying to discourage the dumping of his beverage into his meal, all I can say is "that's just the way I like it." Stage 1- don't let him see us doing anything we don't want him to do.

This morning I brought him up on our bed. "What is that?" he asked. I told him it was Dad's pillow. A few minutes later he asked, "Why? why? mom, why?" completely out of the blue. Stages 2 and 3- incessant questions (to which he knows the answer) including the dreaded why, and talking for the sake of talking.

Later, I asked Howie what he wanted for breakfast. He was too busy playing to acknowledge that he heard me. I told Matt that yesterday he wanted something that rhymed with mole. He didn't get it so I whispered cole, but he still didn't follow, so I mouthed the word popsicle. "Oh, cole!" he said. A few minutes later Howie came up eyes wide and head nodding, "cole? cole? cole?" Stages 4 and 5- selective hearing and don't say anything we don't want him to hear.

I figure that first one should only last about 25 years. I thought he was still too young for the questions, but hopefully that means he'll grow out of it sooner.

11 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, July 06, 2006, Blogger QueenMeadow said...

Its time to start spelling stuff ;)

My 4 year old is still in the asking questions when he already knows the answer, hehe.

 
At 12:04 PM, July 06, 2006, Blogger Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

yup, all of that sounds about right. fun stuff! and you've got a smart one, so it should be all the more interesting :)

 
At 12:08 PM, July 06, 2006, Blogger Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Little smarty pants! You're in for it!

 
At 2:33 PM, July 06, 2006, Blogger Mama D said...

So this is what the future has in store for me... Hmmmm.

 
At 3:01 PM, July 06, 2006, Blogger ShelahBooksIt said...

We're still getting constant whys from my 4 1/2 yo. So you've got at least 3 more years until that phase ends. :)

 
At 4:09 PM, July 06, 2006, Blogger sheri said...

Let the good times roll!
(and a sippy cup will stop him from pouring milk into his oatmeal. lol)

 
At 5:57 PM, July 06, 2006, Blogger Jennifer said...

This is no help, but your six year old niece is still asking questions to which this bright girl knows the answers. Stage 2 -

My guess is she is talking for the sake of talking. Stage 3

Stage 4 and 5, even Ty is catching on the spelling - pop, juice etc.

I'd look for 25 years to life on all charges :o)

 
At 4:09 AM, July 07, 2006, Blogger Lee said...

It is the fun age! Good luck with your smart little boy! My ds is 4 1/2 and it is still coming why???

 
At 10:00 AM, July 07, 2006, Blogger Amber said...

Dude, my dh is 31 and still asks why to questions he knows the answers to! I need a picture of your kid, you don't post nearly enough of those...

 
At 1:57 PM, July 07, 2006, Blogger Jeana said...

Hey, just got your comment at my blog (thanks for stopping by!) and couldn't find your e-mail...are you going to London in the fall? So glad you liked my series! If you have any questions or want pointer (believe it or not I didn't print everything) feel free to e-mail me. And I have more coming in the series. :-)

 
At 7:11 PM, July 07, 2006, Blogger Chilihead2 said...

Thanks for stopping by today and commenting! You captured it perfectly (for my life, though, and without the pink!) when you wrote:
just how uneventful my life is, spelled out in black and white.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home