I went to a funeral today
It was for the husband of one of my co-workers. He died in an accident last week. I had never met him and don't know her well, but I felt like I needed to go.Remember how I said I'm not a crier? I lied. I didn't even make it passed the family walking by the door I was seated near as they wheeled the casket in. The audible gasping sobs of a family who had just closed the lid on a young member tragically taken played a part, but I think the tears were mostly for my own selfish perspective.
I've been in a bit of a funk and so whiny and focused on myself lately. I can't even imagine what his young wife is experiencing. She gave me a ride home one night and she shared a glimpse into what a hard life she'd had up to this point. Now at age 21, she's a widow with two small children. I am in awe of her strength. She even had the composure to sing a song with his sisers. I'm not sure I could breath, let alone sing at Matt's funeral.
It was great reminder to me of how small my problems really are. I have a wonderful, suportive and talented husband who is working his butt off to provide the life we want for our family. We have the means and the options to give that dream a try and the faith that it is possible. Lastly, as funerals often are, it was a reminder that we have a living Father in Heaven and a Savior who love us each individually and are aware of the struggles that we have.
5 Comments:
How thoughtful of you to go and what a great reminder to keep things on perspective. We have a funeral on Thursday. I don't know if I've been to one since my dad's.
eeek! So hard to imagine life without my husband. What would I do? I hope my kids never have to experience life without their great daddy! Really helps put things in perspective, huh. That container of baby powder all over the living room and kitchen, not such a big deal.
Oh, that just breaks my heart. I'm sure it means a lot to have your support there as well. I hate how it seems to take these horrible reminders for me to put my thoughts back in perspective. Why can't I just ALWAYS remember how blessed I am? Grrr
The fact that the widow could stand up and sing a song at her husband's funeral proves that Heavenly Father buoys us up during those horribly hard times. I know He will continue to be with her and her babies.
I had a similar experience recently. My co-worker and friend's husband died in his sleep at age 27 leaving her with 2 small children. The funeral was so hard. I don't know how I'd function.
Post a Comment
<< Home