Wednesday, August 16, 2006

this time it was attempted manslaughter

or frogslaughter, as the case may be.

Tedi replaced the fish with two tiny frogs (I don't think they were related to Ity). They didn't fare so well. The water clouded up quickly and they were pretty sluggish by Monday night. Yesterday morning I sent her a text message that said "you've got a floater."

I didn't do anything about it and forgot about it for the rest of the day. Howie and I went on a little date last night because Matt was having some friends over for a coding project (it was way more geeky than that, but I'll spare you the details). I made sure there was soap and a handtowel in the bathroom before we left and remembered the dead frog. I really didn't want to take care of it, so I just moved the tank to the counter in the master bathroom. The rest of the evening went as follows:

9:30- arrive home from dinner and running errands/chatting with friends
10:15- finally get a wound up Howie to sleep
11:15- go to sleep on the couch because I put him in our bed and I didn't want to wake him by going in there
1:35- Matt comes up from the basement to tell me Howie was awake
1:36- start nursing Howie and realize I never went to the bathroom before I went to bed and have to go now, like right now!
1:37- forget to flush toilet in my half asleep state and in my rush to get back to the screaming Howie who I am afraid is going to fall off the bed because he's used to sleeping on the floor
1:38- realize I forgot to replace the handtowel Howie ran off with and swing my dripping hands toward the bath towels
1:38 and 30 seconds- rush around trying to find a towel to clean putrid brine shrimp and frog excrement contaminated dead frog water off my legs and get Howie calmed down while banging on wall for Matt to come upstairs
1:39- Matt comes running in asking why water is running through basement ceiling
1:40-45- alternately try not to gag and try not to giggle when Matt gags as I nurse Howie back to sleep and Matt cleans up the nasty water, broken glass, frogs (one carcass, one hopping around) and glass rocks (most of which were inside the toilet filled with pee).
1:45- take a shower in the other bathroom
2:00-3:00- try to fall asleep and decide that no matter what the dead frog says about our pet keeping abilities, this really must be blogged

This morning I went against every good house cleaning convention and started mopping at the door and worked my way in. The carnage wasn't as bad as I feared, having done it in the dark and never gone back in. Frog number two is still alive and kicking. He is in need of a fresh new tank, but I don't think Tedi is concerned. I woke her this morning to tell her there had been an accident and she grunted as she rolled over and went back to sleep for two more hours. I don't think she'll press charges.

13 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, August 16, 2006, Blogger Emily said...

ROFL! You guys had better never get a cat or dog...

 
At 1:34 PM, August 16, 2006, Blogger Emily said...

Oh! And you suck for going out on a TUESDAY night. :p

 
At 2:53 PM, August 16, 2006, Blogger QueenMeadow said...

hehe, your pet killing skills amuse me.

 
At 2:59 PM, August 16, 2006, Blogger Char @ Crap I've Made said...

He he he. Good thing you fare slightly better keeping your kid alive.

 
At 3:41 PM, August 16, 2006, Blogger Blackeyedsue said...

Aren't you happy that you had to nurse Howie. What timing!

 
At 5:05 PM, August 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story!

 
At 8:36 PM, August 16, 2006, Blogger sheri said...

rofl!

 
At 1:19 AM, August 17, 2006, Blogger Super Happy Girl said...

I shouldn't have laughed, after all, there was a dead frog, gagging adults, all kind of nastiness...yet it was pretty funny. I hope I never get "putrid brine shrimp and frog excrement contaminated dead frog water" on any part of my body.

I'd just faint.

 
At 9:35 AM, August 17, 2006, Blogger Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

rofl!! seriously funny stuff.

 
At 2:49 PM, August 17, 2006, Blogger Nettie said...

Okay, that makes all the messes I cleaned up today seem far less nasty! Kudos to your hubby for cleaning it up!

 
At 12:55 AM, August 18, 2006, Blogger Laura Moncur said...

Sorry for being the entirely too geeky coding project in the basement. It was really great for us, though. Mike got an entry on the front page of Digg because of it.

Thanks for letting us hack in your basement.

 
At 9:20 AM, August 18, 2006, Blogger Gabriela said...

EWWWWWW. I can almost smell the stench. Glad you got to get Howie back to sleep and your husband did the initial clean-up.

 
At 9:58 PM, August 18, 2006, Blogger Kermit~the~Frog said...

You can't make this stuff up, seriously. Too funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home