Wednesday, July 26, 2006

out of the frying pan and into the fire

Here we go. Today is Matt's last day of corporate employment. He was so excited last night that he couldn't sleep. I admit that I had a little jump in my chest when I realized this would be the last day for awhile that he has to run out the door first thing in the morning. Howie was eating breakfast and pointed at Matt's laptop bag, "bye, Dad." It tugged at my heart for the sadness but also because I'm excited to have him working from home. [I know Matt is shaking his head at this. He still has to "work" yeah, I know that, but I've always loved the days he's worked from home.]

He has been sending some resumes out, but he's also finding good leads for independent contracting. The pros and cons lists are long for each route. I'll say that I've grown rather fond of reliable health insurance, paid vacations and especially $x,xxx.72 direct deposited on the 5th and 20th of each month, but happy husband, flexible schedule and an office at home are weighing pretty heavily on the other side. I guess what it comes down to is: what's the point of an MBA with an emphasis in entrepreneurship and emerging technology business when all you do is build the same old code for someone else?

So, hold your breath and take my hand; I think we're jumping in.

11 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, July 26, 2006, Blogger Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Good luck!

 
At 4:32 PM, July 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:49 PM, July 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One thing being married to a [name removed], things are never dull for long, take it from someone who's been there!! Good Luck!! MM

 
At 5:33 PM, July 26, 2006, Blogger J Fife said...

Wow! That is so exciting, frightening and ballsy all at once. The thought makes me want to puke - which is usually a sign that it is a great thing to do. Good luck!

 
At 5:53 PM, July 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband is so much happier since he left the corporate world a year ago, even though our income and benefits have substantially decreased. It helped us to have a bit of home equity and retirement savings to draw from when we had to. We were told the first year really sucks, and it has, but the future looks bright.

 
At 7:05 PM, July 26, 2006, Blogger sheri said...

Yay and scary! Good luck!
Although I HATE when J works at home. HATE. Course, he's trying to type up reports and do professional business calls right in the middle of our dining/living room while I've got kids running around. Maybe that's the problem.
But I'm really excited for both of you!!!

 
At 10:48 PM, July 26, 2006, Blogger Emily said...

I'll bet it's the beginning of great things for you guys. Good luck!!

 
At 10:32 AM, July 27, 2006, Blogger Blackeyedsue said...

The first year is the worst. I think it is all of the constant adjusting and figuring out financial where's and what's. It takes A LOT of work to make it work, but it is worth it in the end.

Just remember when things get hard that as soon as the rough patch is over, things on the other side are MUCH better.

We have been doing this for almost five years, and I wouldn't change a thing, other than the stinky smell of the microwave lunches waifting up from the basement.

 
At 3:01 PM, July 27, 2006, Blogger emlouisa said...

Crazy. I heard a rumor about you. Email me and I'll tell you what it is. I want some clarification, girlfriend! :)

emlouisa at gmail

 
At 6:12 PM, July 27, 2006, Blogger Amber said...

Scary! But exciting! Yay! I think if Steve worked from home I'd be more productive throughout the day... which is why I'm not encouraging him ot do that that.

 
At 10:58 PM, July 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So fun and scary at the same time! Keep us posted on this adventure. Good LUCK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home