blink blink
Last week, Matt was contemplating the popularity of several tech blogs. He was frustrated because these bloggers post entries containing nothing but a link to an article or other blog. They provide minimal commentary or analysis, if any. Exasperated, he exclaimed "They're nothing but... but... but... blinkers!" and a new word was born. Blinkers = blog linkers. It has grown to incorporate other parts of speech in our house, most of which have nothing to do with our eyes. A blink is a link within a blog at all, not just the barebones posts which spawned it. Over lunch today, I told him that I got blinked.Blinking in a mommy blog is an entirely different matter than the solely redirecting blinkers who had Matt frustrated. When you're blinked in a well written and/or well read mommy blog- well, that's the kind of thing that makes you do a little happy dance around the kitchen. Such as was the case this morning. I was reading a blog I enjoy daily when all of a sudden, "hey, that's me!"
Shannon posted earlier in the week that we needed a verb for when we go from being online friends to actually meeting each other. Though I thought flapsnaggle was a fine choice, I suggested mirl- an acronym for meet in real life. Not exactly original, since IRL is already in common internet usage. Shannon, being creative like she is, ran with it. She used the infinitive form, made it an ajdective and even a gerund.
blink. mirl. use them in a sentence.
5 Comments:
Congrats on the blinkage! I agree it is cool for mommy blogs. As for mirling...I'm glad we've mirled.
:p
And I totally knew you before you were famous.
I love it! I still think it was sheer brilliance on your part!
And this is the first time in my life I've ever inspired someone to happy dance around her kitchen. You made my week!
That is a great word!
I was inspired by your post on the Queen's blog.
So that was you! :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home